Thursday, February 7, 2013

Back to sleep or Belly to sleep? That is the question...

I am struggling with this. While Noah was in the NICU they beat the "back to sleep" notion into your brain. They also say no blankets. Hypocritical since every time I went up there Noah was swaddled in a blanket. Nevertheless, everywhere I turn its all about putting your baby on their back to sleep. I guess it bothers me because when Mason (who is now almost 7) was a baby it was belly to sleep. When talking to others, it was side to sleep. SO CONFUSING!!! But I guess it studies show that babies that sleep on their backs are have a lesser chance of SIDS. For those of you that don't know what it is, here is a good link to check out. http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sids.html

When Noah first came home back sleeping wasn't a problem. As the days go on though, he hates it. Since he is also a gassy baby, I am sure it feels good to sleep on his tummy. If I put him on his back he may sleep for minutes. He then stiffens and screams. Hmmmm... Flip him to his belly and presto!! Sleeping baby!!!
I posted this question on facebook and to my surprise a lot of people let their babies sleep on their belly.I thought I was the only one breaking the rules. Made me feel a lot better. I am sure Noah appreciates it too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm a new follower from MBC and would love a follow back at sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and on Pinterest! I follow back all of my Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete