Friday, February 8, 2013

On childbirth. Part 1.


I did not have a childbirth experience with my first son, Mason. My ex husband and I adopted him when he was 5 months old. I never really thought I would ever get pregnant actually. I miscarried once when I was 18, and since then it never happened. Until last year I actually didn't believe it.
Now lets fast forward....
Noah was due on December 28, 2012. The doctor had planned on taking him a week early because he was growing so fast. On November 13th I got off from work and needed to pick up Mason from school and go food shopping. First stop, school. Next stop, Publix. Mason and I get out of the car and right at that moment I feel a small gush of water. I blow it off. I figured I just peed myself a little and into Publix I go. Normally I would have went home but Mason really needed poster board for a school project. So we finish up there and we go home.
                                           Mason and me at my baby shower. 3 days before my water breaks.
Once home the first thing I do is empty my bladder. Man did I have to go! I figured problem solved. I changed my clothes and a couple of minutes later it happens again. Small gush of water.What the HECK is going on!!!! Two outfits later I call my mom. She then proceeds to tell me that my water broke and I need to go to the hospital. Why didn't I think of that? I call my friend Jenice at work. (We both worked at the hospital I was going to be giving birth at). I ask her to call Kelly in the E.R. and ask her what I should do. She calls me back and tells me I need to get there ASAP. Needless to say, I am so not ready for this. No bag packed. No plans for Mason. Nothing. I call my ex so I can drop off Mason. And off we go.
We get there and I am immediately taken to the Mom/baby floor. Got the confirmation that my water did indeed break. Now what? I am 33 weeks pregnant, this can't be good. Since this hospital does not have a NICU, I get transferred 40 miles away by ambulance. There I sat for 4 days. I was admitted on Tuesday. And the plan was to induce on Friday. They wanted to keep him in until he reached 34 weeks. It was 4 days of being poked and prodded. I thought it would be easy. Water breaks = baby comes. Instead it was all these rules. Don't get up, don't do this, don't do that. Friday needs to get here, and it needs to get here NOW!
Stay tuned for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment